We want to introduce you to two popular types of Solar panel technologies that dominate 80% of the photovoltaic market: monocrystalline and polycrystalline solar panels.
But what are the differences between them, you may ask? While both are reliable and have a mature market, they differ in shape and performance.
Monocrystalline Silicon Solar Panels
Monocrystalline, also called single crystalline silicon solar panels, are easily recognizable due to their external dark black color.
They are made from cylindrical silicon ingots that are cut into wafers and have higher efficiency; thanks to the purity of the silicon, they can better exploit the sun irradiation.
- Smaller installation area needed in comparison with other types.
- Long life-span (25-year warranty)
- Good performance under low irradiation conditions.
- They are the most expensive solar panels.
- Circuit breakdown when the solar panel is covered with dirt, shade or snow.
- Lower performance while increasing the operating temperature.
- Silicon waste during the manufacturing process.
Polycrystalline Silicon Solar Panels
Polycrystalline are also known as multi-crystalline solar panels and, unlike monocrystalline solar panels, the melted silicon to produce them is poured into a square mould.
This silicon is then cooled and finally sliced into square wafers creating the polycrystalline shape.
- The manufacturing process is simpler and cheaper.
- There is no silicon waste.
- They have a higher performance while increasing the operating temperature.
- Lower efficiency due to low silicon purity.
- Require higher installation area than monocrystalline solar panel.
- Lower architecture integration.
|The identification of the difference between the Monocrystalline and Polycrystalline solar panels is important when taking the right decision in the early stages of project management especially in huge projects that need an accurate feasibility analysis.It is important to identify your project specifications accordingly and choose the suitable solar panel that will satisfy your needs with an economic efficiency|